Friday, June 24, 2011

Music I've been meaning to buy, but I checked out at the Library Series Part Six:Beach House - Teen Dream

I've heard a lot of things about Beach House. For example, somone told me that they sound like "Best Coast". Other people have told me that they sound like "that Indie Dream Pop" that I like so much. But despite that, I really don't know what to expect. Sure, you might have seen my other installments of this series when I said that I "didn't know what to expect", but I'm really sure this time. I'm looking forward to this review. Trust me, I will buy this album because I know it will sound great (based off of the "hype" from it) and plus, I can't pass up a CD/DVD combo. I had this CD for a while, so sorry if my review was a little bit late.


As with all reviews that I post, I have not heard the whole album, but I have heard some songs off of the album, here and there, but you have my word that I haven't heard the whole thing. (I call this a "blind" review just in-case you didn't know).

Zebra
This one starts off pretty mellow. That guitar is starting to hook me in too. I hope they get to the lyrics because I want to see if they are any good. What do you know, the vocals are fantastic! Sounds a little bit like the Velvet Underground. This song is very light, almost "airy". It almost reminds me of one of those wafer cookies; flaky, light and sweet. A grand start to this album. I'm hoping that it will flow through to the rest of the album.

Silver Soul
This opening sounds better than the last one. Wait, this song sounds better than the last one anyway. Listen to those vocals! No wonder why people recommended this album to me! This is straight up 80's influenced Dream Pop right here. This is a great song. I think that you should find it on Youtube or wherever else this song would be uploaded and listen to it.

Norway

When the last track finished, I ended up listening to Norway (alright sorry). I could talk more on how this is a revamped version of 80's Dream Pop and Shoegaze, but I won't. This song is really nice. Those background instruments (modded guitar?) sound really great, it feels like I'm slowly sinking into this song, and I love it when a song has this type of power. I don't know if this is important or not, but I'm not really paying attention to the lyrics although I have the lyric booklet out. I guess that I really dont need to because I feel like the music is more important in this genre.

Walk in the Park
Another good opening! This is four in a row! As for the sound, it is great. I feel like I am walking though the park, but I also feel like I'm spinning around and floating (vivid right?). I feel like I heard this song late at night when I was watching one of those "late night" shows and Beach House was on TV. I probally thought "Oh, this is really good sleeping music! But this is a pretty awesome song! I'll buy the album later". I should start to listen to my brain more when I go on trips to the record store, because I listen to some pretty good stuff and I always forget about it.

Used To Be
This song sounds more upbeat to me. On the rythym and muis side, this sounds like an old Portishead song to me. Heck, it was probally an infulence to them, but why should it matter? This is a great song. I think that this song is going to be in my head for a while, I can just feel it happening. The shift at 2:40 is genus.

Lover of Mine

Nice opening! I quickly looked over the lyrics before this song started, and I could tell that this song would be great because it rhymed! While I'm still on the voclas, I think that these really stand out for me because they are so Dream Pop-ish! It is like taking vocals Sioxsie Sioux, Lisa Germono and Nico, blending them togehter, and making a vocal smoothie that is awesome.

Better Times
Looks like they slowed things down again. More Velvet Underground infulences on this sonng (espally the Nicoesque vocals). The shift aroud 2:30 is great. This song sounds like really good elevator music to me (that is a compliment!). I'd kind of wish that I would be stuck in a elevator for 4 minutes though.

10 Mile Stereo
I feel like I heard this song too (I most likeley did). No wait, I'm sure that I did! Probally on TV again (NO I'm not a TV junkie, I only watch shows for the musical guest.) When I heard it, I remembered to "listen to this again, because this is totally sick! And plus it sounds like Portishead". I really like this song. I wish I could decribe it for you. Yeah, check this song out NOW if you haven't heard it (you can come back to my review right?)

Real Love
"I met you somewhere, In a hell beneath the Stairs"
This might be one of the best lyrics I've ever heard.
I know, it is hard to follow a good song like 10 mile stereo, but this song is great! I don't usally say this, but I have the urge to cry tears of joy because I don't want this song to end. Yes it is THAT good (I'm super glad that this song is 5 minues and 20 seconds). This isn't a sad song or anything like that, but I feel like this sond would have a spot on my "break up" playlist. I have no idea why though. 

Take Care
I feel like I heard this song someplace. It is great, almost "soft" and it just flows really well. It just sounds like a good "album ender" to me.

Now that I've listened to this album, I can say that Teen Dream is one of the Best things that I've listened to in a while (Sorry Warpaint and Wild Flag, I still love what you do, but you aren't quite Dream Gaze yet! (Woah, Dreamgaze... I came up with a new Genera!). The openings and endings are all sold, the music is just exciting to listen to, and plus it is simple to muscically understand! What else can you ask for in an album! I don't know why I don't have this album yet, but trust me I will have it and the other Beach House albums soon!

No comments: