Thursday, June 16, 2011

Music I've been meaning to buy, but I checked out at the Library Series Part Five: Surfer Blood - Astro Coast

I don't know what to expect from this album. I heard Surfer Blood a long time ago when I was probably doing some programing in my computer class and I had my internet radio on. I probably thought "Oh, that sounds cool, I'll check this out later." but it never happened. But I found this CD last week and I knew that I had to listen to it for myself.

As always, this is a "Clean Review". I haven't heard the whole album through, and I really don't know what to expect. I'm reviewing each track as I go along, so you know exactly what I'm thinking when I'm listening.


Floating Vibes

This sounds interesting. I don't want to sound obvious when I say this, but its very "surf rockish". Again, I haven't heard this album, but just from this first track, I can tell that they are probably are going to use harmonies a lot. That is different, and I can't wait to hear the rest of this album. Anyway, I like this song. Just looking at this song, I'm expecting this song to be

Swim

This sounds different (in a good way). It is loud at first, and then we get a small interlude, and then right back to the loudness. So far, when I'm listening to this album, it feels like I'm surfing. Is Surfer Blood recreating the experience of surfing in an album? If so, that is pretty radical.

Take It Easy
"Wow, is this a straight up surf-rock song?". It sounds like it. I'm liking this album so far. Its like a giant wave hit my brain and now I'm floating in the vast ocean that is Surfer Blood. I'm enjoying that main riff very nice.

Harmonix
The opening is hooking me in so far. The lyrics are helping, so now I just want to just focus on this song for a while. Hey, a tempo change. Is that feedback? I'm like floating in a sea of amazing. I'm hooked on this album so far. I want to see if it is all this good!

Neighbour Riffs
The guitar is standing out on this one. Wait, the song is called Neighbor Riffs, so are (2?) guitars playing almost the same riffs, or is one guitar looped with a delay someplace, or am I just over thinking this one? Whatever it may be, this is kind of a short song, but its working for me. We hit the halfway point on this song, I'm enjoying it! It went super fast though.

Twin Peaks
Is this song about Twin Peaks (it probably isn't)? This song sounds like a party, and enjoyable party inside my brain that has a lot of things going on. I think my brain is in overload mode.

Fast Jabroni
I'm guessing that this is the faster version of Slow Jaboini. I think that I'll like Slow Jabroni because I like Fast Jabroni.

Slow Jabroni
I guess they weren't joking  about this being the slow version of Fast Jabroni. It really is! Slow Jabroni is 6:06 so yes, it is 3 minutes longer than the 3:04 minute Fast Jabroni. Fast or slow, I like them both.

Anchorage

Believe it or not, this is the longest song on the album. I'm interested to see what they are going to do with it. That is a pretty sick main riff, I think I'll keep listening to this song just to see when they are going to play it again (yeah, that is pretty lame right?). Other than that I like this song. I'm not trying to be lazy, but its one of those songs that you have to hear to understand.

Catholic Pagans
And the last song on the album is short! (not like that means anything to me). I like it. They opened and closed this album well! That is 5 stars in my book.

Sure, this album might be labeled "Indie Rock" by a lot of people and reviewers, but this album sounds more like Surf Rock to me. Indie Surf Rock? Does that sound alright? (You know how I feel about new genres). I do recommend this for you to listen to. I'm sure that you will like it.

No comments: